Ingredients to make Wara also known as Tofu.
- 3 cups of soybeans
- 75ml of freshly squeezed lime juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- oil (for frying)
- Lemon or any other coagulant
- Soak the soybeans overnight. Drain and grind in a blender ( add about 3 cups of water while grinding)
- Strain soybeans through a sieve. (locally referred to as ‘Ase’)
- Pour the sieved milk into a big Pot, Boil the soy-milk on medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t boil over.
- Boil on low heat, add in lime juice (no stirring), tofu should start to form now. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, set aside for about 45 minutes.
- Place the sieve in a bowl or over the sink, pour the tofu in carefully, fold the sieve over and press as much as possible. About 2-3 cups of soy milk is gotten.
- Press down on the tofu bag with a tray and a heavy object to remove excess water and allow it to set.
- Leave for 4-5 hrs.
- Press extra firm tofu and cut into triangles.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Allow tofu to cook, undisturbed for about 4-5 minutes or until the underside is golden brown and crispy.